Ticker

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sooooooo.....here I am again.

I hope this is the last time I say, "I'm here again and back on the wagon."  The struggle with my weight over the years has taken a toll on me.  On Wednesday without planning for it (considering Tuesday night I ate almost a whole bag of salt and vinegar kettle chips) I just decided I couldn't do it anymore. I know I have probably said that before so I don't even expect anyone to believe me.  I am afraid for my health to decline or deteriorate.  My blood sugars have been over 200 for months and it has finally scared me.  Since Wednesday I have had bs's of 162, 177 and 180 which are still high but they are under 200 and that is great!

I am counting calories and drinking water. I am not beginning any exercise program at this time because exercise makes me extremely hungry and right now I just don't need any additional challenges.  I am re-training myself on portion sizes and just focusing on that and staying within an allotted calorie range.  I will tackle exercise after I have dropped some weight and feel stronger and more confident with my food choices.

I am not the type of person who can follow a thousand food rules.  I don't want to track fat grams, carbs etc.  I am strictly tracking calories, being conscious of portions by measuring, weighing etc.  I am making different food choices because of the calories, but if I decide I want chocolate I am going to eat a normal serving, log it and move on - making sure it is in my calorie range for the day.  I know myself and I know when I deprive myself of certain foods it is only a set up for failure because then what happens is I become obsessed with that which I cannot have. I have found that knowing I can have something if I choose, frees me up from thinking about it all the time!

I am not going to jump on any fads or follow the latest trends. I am not going to become obsessed about chemicals etc that are in foods. I do already choose "real" foods over chemically created foods - like I use real butter instead of margarine, real sugar instead of Equal.  Real is always going to be better for me, but again in the right portion.  I am not going to get distracted by what other people think I should do.  I know me best and I am going to choose how I travel this road.  I am not going to compare myself to anyone else either.

So, like the Whitesnake song says, "here I go again on my own!"  I am on the road to freedom, health and a closetful of jeans I haven't worn in years!

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to give this post a great big, AMEN! I hear you on the pressure to try the latest diet trend. This is exactly the method I'm using to lose weight, and it's working for me, too!

    Excited to see what happens in the next few weeks. :)

    (BTW, this is Cita from 3FC)

    ReplyDelete